- What’s your favourite DIALOG project?
- Rogers Place arena in Edmonton. The team effort and coordination carried out to deliver a very complex project on time and within budget was a great experience for me.
- What’s one thing about you that would surprise people?
- I am a black belt in karate, which I have practiced for 15 years. I was part of the security team for the dean at my undergraduate university and I performed in exhibition shows, which involved walking on glass and getting a block of ice broken on my stomach while laying on a bed of nails.
- What’s your favourite pastime?
- Third-world country politics, especially Mexican politics. They're much more entertaining than watching soap operas, which is says a lot.
Juan became a DIALOGer in 2008, and is now an integral part of the structural engineering team, providing advanced specialization in concrete design. Juan’s design philosophy is to maximize the utilization of design tools to produce innovative and efficient designs while applying sound engineering judgement to control the use of these tools.
Juan has extensive experience delivering effective structural solutions at all stages of a project. His significant contribution to the design and construction of large, complex concrete buildings makes him an invaluable addition to our design team.
He has been responsible for the structural design of several iconic projects in Alberta, including Edmonton’s Rogers Place arena and the Mechanized River Valley Access. Juan’s passion for excellence in structural design has helped change the face of the Edmonton community.
With a reputation for producing innovative concrete designs, identifying cost-saving solutions, and problem-solving, Juan’s positive, supportive energy always shines. He enjoys mentoring junior engineers and always strives to elevate team morale.
Juan believes that having structural engineers with an awareness of construction procedures on-site is critical to delivering efficient designs.
What gets me up in the morning is the opportunity to solve new challenges with the support of a great team.Juan Garay
- Master of Science, Structural Engineering University of Alberta
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering Universidad Autonoma de Sinaloa, Mexico